Thursday, November 19, 2009

STORY - Unlikely Appearances


 “"Nothing is unlikely anymore.” Everyone in the court-room stopped to listen, my father, Sir King Golen DeViine-may he live forever- also listened intently to me. “nothing catches my attention, makes me laugh or makes me spit. But even so, I laugh and spit and scowl. Only when I have to, mind you, I only smiled for my father and very rarely but sometimes I smile or laugh for my mother, just to see her smile.  You cannot blame me for it though. Who likes their future husband to be an ugly ogre, four and a half decades old, with yellow teeth and a bushy mustache? Not me.”
Some of the women cocked their heads.
“I like a man who is young, sun tanned, and acts like a gentlemen; with dark hair and clean-shaven cheeks, someone who is tall–but not ginormous–and he takes care of his white teeth, and so on and so forth.  A civilized king would not have chosen this goof of a ‘prince’–if he could be called a ‘prince’ at all–no. A good king like my uncle Sir King Frederick von Delough of Larrisadeh, would've given me any man I wanted for a husband I would want.”
Guard Lindrick and Guard Shandel rested their strong hands on my shoulders. “I shall refrain from that subject though.” They let off. “It depresses me so much. I shall speak of the ball. At the mother’s “Duchess and Ladies of the Court” grand highness ball tonight at midnight, I shall conjure up a speech. Maybe mother shall listen to me since her subjects are watching. I do so hope Mistress Madlienare of Shiretown is there. She will cheer me up. But she won’t cheer mother enough to convince her that PrinceOuferling Demm of Channtila does not deserve me. Maid Grellie should have my gown ready.” I stomped away, calling after my maid. I knew father was stricken with grief. He didn't know all that. Hedidn't even know what PrinceOuferling Demm of Channtila looks like! He just knows his father. And he never ever thought that I didn't approve of him because I never spoke up like that. In fact, the last time I had spoken up like so was when I was six years old. I am thirteen now.
“Grellie show me my gown.” I ordered, trying not to slouch. “Yes ma’am.” She disappeared behind the door to my closet–another immense room.
“Here ‘tis, ma’am.” I smiled and gloated at it.
“Should it look good on me? And fit? Did you make sure the size is correct? Did they measure me correct?” I gave Grellie a worried glance. “It looks… tiny.” I slid my slippers off and glided to the dressing room–another room of its own. She brought the dress and snatched a ribbon for my hair from the shelf above my stool. She unbuttoned my dress and took off my petticoat. She then held up a stretchy thing.
“’Mind turning and holdin' this ma’am?” She asked me. I gasp. “ME?” She shook her head. I giggled. “Just goofing around. Sure.” She smiled and handed me two strings. Thicker than yarn, but thinner than ribbon. She wrapped it around my waist, hips and rear. Then, she asked for the string. I handed her it, not knowing what was coming next. Then, I almost lost my tea. She had laced the string through the stretch–material and pulled on it. Hard. She laced it through the next two holes and pulled again. This time I couldn't breath. “What,”–gasp–, “is this?” She put her hand over my mouth.
“Hold on. Hush and I’ll tell you. Breath shorter.” I concentrated on breathing ‘shorter’. “It’s a corset. I thought you knew! It makes your stomach smaller.” I took it as an insult.
“Uh! Are you saying my belly is fat?” 
She smirked. “Am I?” 
I gawked. “Uh!” I pulled away. I tried to slouch while she fixed my hair but the ‘corset’ made me sit perfectly strait. I hated it. After she was finished, I walked into my room and gloated at myself in the mirror. I loved it! And my hair–was gorgeous!
“Thank you, Grellie.” I had one more thing to do. I slipped on my tiara and stroll out into the garden for some ‘rehearsing’ before the ball. The green leaves were amazing! I held my gown out and admired the lace. After an hour or so, I heard the bell from the Lafayette Tour and ran to the ball-room so to not make myself late.
No-one was there. It was empty. I creased my brows and asked into nowhere, “Is anyone here?” Then I heard the band, and an arm grabbed my wrist. I shook my head around, and gasp. It was a gentleman! A handsome gentleman! With dark brown hair and clean, white teeth. And he was definitely not and ogre. I blushed. “May I have the advantage of seeking your name?” Half of his face smiled. The other half was unsure. “I’m … my name isOuferling Demm of Channtila, the son of King Dillion. Please call meDemm.” I gasped. “PrinceDemm! How long have you been…here… at the castle?” He smiled a mischievous grin and stated, “Long enough. So, dear Maiden. Princess of  Enatturimoe, may I ask a quizzical question?” I turned my head and looked at the other ladies, dancing and laughing, and here I was with my future husband, whom I’d called an ogre… and he certainly was not. “I assume so.” I answered.
            “Since I am your future husband, and you do not like ogres,” I blushed, “Do I look like an ugly ogre, four and a half decades old, with yellow teeth and a bushy mustache?” Now, I was not only blushing, but so hot, I thought I might faint! In fact, that’s just what I
did. I fainted! Right there!"

The moral of this story, is to always assume the best in people. Even if you hate the idea, never assume something horrid about someone else. It only gets you into trouble. God doesn't want us to think the worst of people, or talk foolishly about anyone. Proverbs 5:1 - My son, attend unto my wisdom, and bow thine ear to my understanding.
Think if you were on the receiving end. Pretend you were Prince Demm. You would feel like saying, ‘My own well-known friend, who I trusted, turned against me!’ (PR 41:9) The bible says a friend loves at all times. Not just when he/she feels like it. And you never know... your prince charming could be watching you! But... don't assume that. Someone is always watching you... God.

No comments:

Post a Comment